Purchasing a good leather bag is an experience like never before, by taking some time to care for your leather bag, you will uphold the value and maintain the appearance of your most treasured pieces. Looking after your leather goods starts with day to day care,the following are certain tips that will not only enhance the shine of your leather bag, but will also assist you to use it for longer time.
Clean your bag regularly
Regularly clean your leather bag using a leather-friendly soap,washing mechine, a soft cloth or sponge, and a gentle hand.
To clean the interior:
● Remove any loose dirt with dampened hand towel or brush
● Apply a small amount of leather conditioner to the inside of the leather bag
● Use an absorbent cloth or brush to work conditioner into leather surface until it disappears into hide fibers
● Wait for at least 20 minutes before buffing out excess moisture with dry rag
Cleaning the lining
The lining should be cleaned with a damp cloth or a mild detergent. If there are stains, use a leather cleaner. The leather cleaner should be suitable for the type of leather that your bag is made of.
Always remove stains quickly
When you spot a stain on your leather bag, the best thing you can do is remove it immediately. You can use any of these methods to clean and care for them:
● Damp cloth :Use a soft damp cloth or sponge to wipe off stains from the surface of your bag. This will also help prevent dirt from getting into any scratches or cracks in your leather.
● Leather cleaner: If that doesn’t work, apply a leather cleaner to the stain and let it sit for several minutes before wiping off with a damp cloth or soft towel.
● Leather conditioner—If there are deeper scratches, then apply conditioner using an applicator brush (such as one used for oil paints), let dry completely and then buff out with another piece of lint-free cloth until smooth again.
Keep it dry
The genuine leather bags are not waterproof ,damaged moldy if exposed to water and moisture for longer periods, So, it is best if the leather bag does not come in contact with water.However, if at all the leather bag comes in contact with rainwater, it is advised to keep it in direct sunlight or blot away the moisture with a clean dry cloth you’re able to.
Occasional use of conditioning agents
If your bag shows signs of roughness and dryness, you can proper use of the leather conditioners,they help to maintain an optimum amount of moisture in your leather bag ,reduce the drying up process manifolds.
How to store your bag
When your bag is lying idle ,use a bubble wrap to keep it safe and secure and this will prevent your bag from getting into contact of moisture or water.
Everyday care and thoughtful storage will go a long way in maintaining the life of your favourite leather goods, however specific leather bag may require different care techniques.