How to Clean Your Leather Briefcase Safely: The Safest and Easiest Ways
Cleaning a leather briefcase is not as difficult as one might think, but it is important to take the necessary precautions to avoid damaging the leather bag.
Here, we’ll discuss the safest and easiest ways to care for your leather bag. We will also provide tips on protecting your bag from everyday wear and tear.
What to Do If Your Leather Briefcase Gets Dirty
With time and usage, your leather briefcase will inevitably get dirty. Depending on the severity of the dirt or stain, there are different ways to clean your leather briefcase.
You must clean your leather briefcase regularly to ensure its longevity. Or else the dirt and grime will build up and become difficult to remove. Furthermore, it can also cause your leather briefcase to crack and fade.
How to Clean Leather Bag or Briefcase
Follow the steps below to clean the outside of your briefcase:
First, you will need to gather the following materials:
- A soft cloth
- Warm water
- Mild soap
- A toothbrush
- Wet the cloth with warm water and mild soap.
- Gently rub the soiled areas of your briefcase with the cloth.
- Use the toothbrush to reach any hard-to-reach spots or to scrub away any stubborn dirt.
- Rinse the briefcase with clean water.
- Dry it off with a clean, soft towel.
If you are cleaning a suede briefcase, use a suede brush instead of a toothbrush.
How to Clean the Inside of Your Briefcase
To clean the inside of your briefcase, you’ll need:
- a vacuum with a soft brush attachment
- a lint-free cloth
- leather conditioner
- Start by vacuuming the inside: Use the soft brush attachment to vacuum all the nooks and crannies, especially the corners.
- Next, wipe down the inside with a lint-free cloth: This will remove any dust or dirt the vacuum may have missed.
- Finally, condition the leather: This will help keep it soft and supple. Apply a small amount of leather conditioner to a lint-free cloth and rub it inside your briefcase. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes before wiping away any excess.
How to Maintain Your Briefcase’s Luster
After you’ve cleaned your briefcase, you’ll want to ensure you keep it in good condition. Here are a few tips on how to maintain your briefcase’s luster:
Keep your briefcase away from direct sunlight
Sunlight can cause fading and discoloration, so it’s best to keep your briefcase out of direct sunlight whenever possible.
If you need to store it in a sunny spot, consider placing it in a light-colored dust cover to help protect it from the sun’s harmful rays.
Avoid getting your briefcase wet
Water is one of the biggest enemies of leather, so it’s important to keep your briefcase away from moisture.
If you get your briefcase wet, dry it off as soon as possible with a soft cloth. Avoid harsh chemicals or cleaners on your briefcase, as these can damage the leather.
Condition your briefcase regularly
To help keep your case looking its best, make sure to condition the leather regularly. This will help prevent cracking and promote a healthy sheen. When conditioning your briefcase or leather bag, be sure to use a product that is specifically designed for leather.
Apply the conditioner evenly over the bag’s surface, and then buff it with a soft cloth. Allow the conditioner to soak in for a few minutes before wiping away any excess.
Store your briefcase properly
Store it in a cool, dry place when you’re not using your briefcase. Do not leave it stored in direct sunlight or a humid environment, as this can cause damage to the leather.
If possible, store your briefcase in a breathable dust cover when not in use. This will help protect it from dirt and debris.
Remember that a good quality leather product is an investment, so like any investment, it’s important to do your best to maintain its pristine condition. A well-maintained leather bag or briefcase can last for years and keep it looking as good as it did the day you bought it.